The Alexandria Association is the city’s oldest organization devoted to the preservation of Alexandria’s historic buildings, landscapes, records, and antiquities; and to education in the decorative, fine, and building arts.
MEMBERSHIP AND GUEST LIST IS AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR. PLEASE REGISTER GUESTS WITH email@example.com. Fee for guests attending a one-time lecture is $15. MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION AND CALENDAR AVAILABLE AT OUR SITE: ALEXANDRIAASSOCIATION.ORG.
***** Snow Policy: In the event we must cancel a lecture at the last moment, we will attempt to notify you by email and post the cancellation on our site. If you do not have email, or do not see it on the site (as we may not have had enough time to get the message up), please phone the Lyceum to see if it is open, 703-838-4994, before starting out.
“Colonial Era Churches in Virginia and Pennsylvania, with Emphasis on Alexandria’s Christ Church and Presbyterian Meeting House”
The existing Old Presbyterian Meeting House (OPMH) was built in 1837 to replace the 1775 building, which was destroyed by lightning and fire. Little information remains about that first building, but new architectural analysis has produced a better understanding of this missing structure. This includes study of several architectural “threads” in Pennsylvania and Virginia, which provide clues to the design of the first 1775 Alexandria Meeting House. Early buildings for religious “Dissenters” will be described--and compared to the Anglican churches of the time--to suggest a conjectural site plan and image for the now-missing meeting house. The presentation will close with a detailed architectural description of the 1837 building, now called OPMH.
Baird Smith, FAIA, FAPT, is retired from Quinn Evans Architects (Washington, DC) where he was Director of Preservation and a Principal. He was responsible for historic architecture projects throughout the mid-Atlantic area ranging from small consulting efforts to multi-million dollar building preservation projects. Clients were both private and public, including a host of nonprofit organizations. His work included projects at more than 20 National Historic Landmark sites and for about 600 buildings listed on the National Register. He prepared historical studies on more than a dozen historic churches over the years. He is a long-standing member of the Association of Preservation Technology (APT) and was inducted into the College of Fellows in 2001. He was elevated to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects in 2008. His architecture degree is from the University of Utah (1971) and he has a Masters of Arts in American Studies from George Washington University (1979) and a Diploma in Conservation Studies from the University of York, York, England (1980).
In his early career (1973-76), he worked in the Alexandria office of J. Everett Fauber, FAIA on the restoration of the Carlyle House and Gadsby’s Tavern and was then with the National Park Service (1976-81) in the Technical Preservation Services Division in Washington.
PLEASE REGISTER GUESTS WITH firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fee for guests attending a one-time lecture is $15.